Tuesday, October 16, 2007

30 Years in 30 Weeks - edition 7

My mom and Mrs. Edwards think I'm using my blog as "therapy". Well, sort-of, I guess. Not that I have any deeply-rooted problems that I need to get out, but I am documenting a lot of stuff that I don't want to forget. I mentioned before that I eventually want to get all of this into a scrapbook about me...I guess for my kids one day. It's also just pretty dang funny to go back and look at your childhood photos. I appreciate the additional comments that some of you (okay, basically just Jan) leave so that I can add those memories, as well.


So, this is a picture from my 6th birthday party with my cousins Nikki and Kelli. Notice the Cabbage Patch Kids theme. Those dolls were so "hot" back then. I guess they started the whole "must-have-gift" trend. My grandma bought all of us grandkids one for the previous Christmas. Oh, what the heck, I'll throw in that picture, too. Grandma worked at K-Mart in Humble and managed to score one for all of us. That was sweet. If she hadn't been an employee, I don't know how we would've gotten those things. (Side note - my grandma's birthday was this past Sunday...I still miss her so much! What an awesome woman.) Even though my Aunt Care was like 20 years old, I remember how extremely excited she was to get one, too! My Cabbage Patch Kid's name was Amanda. When they came out with the 25th anniversary doll, it looked exactly like her - same outfit and everything. One time, our house in Porter got broken into and I distinctly remember being afraid that my Cabbage Patch dolls would be gone. Guess that's not really what the thieves were looking for...

As promised, here's our Christmas picture with the Cabbage Patch dolls:


Nice dress, huh? I must say, looking at me at this age, I can definitely see where Caleb looks like me....minus the long hair, frilly dress and white stockings.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a great dress, because I think it is one of mine! If it's not, then I had one just like it! I remember the Cabbage Patch Christmas VERY well, because I didn't get one! You are right about Aunt Birdie getting them because she worked at K-Mart, they had a limit,so I knew ahead of time that y'all were going to get them, and I wasn't. Not to worry, I did get a Cabbage Patch, just not that Christmas. I miss your Grandma too. Aunt Birdie was always sooo sweet to me (and she always had cookies at her house!) Make sure and post some pictures of the two of you together!