Friday, February 1, 2008

A (cold) day at the park

Chris was off on Wednesday and it had finally stopped raining for a while, so we decided to go to the park for a picnic lunch and some bike/wagon riding time for the boys. The sun was shining and it felt really great at our house. By the time we loaded up and got to the park (5 minutes later), it was overcast and 48-freaking-degrees! Thank goodness the boys had their jackets. Unfortunately, Chris and I both had on t-shirts. At least I had on long pants...Chris was stuck in basketball shorts!!! We ate our lunch quickly and then made our way to the play-structure. The boys had a great time playing on the newly-renovated playscape. As they were playing, several joggers went by on the running trail. Chris decided it would be a fantastic idea to see if he could still run a mile. He did it, but I'm sure it was much slower than what he could do when he was in the Army. Upon his return, he convinced me that I needed to try at least a 1/2 mile. Now, mind you, I haven't done any substantial "running" since I was probably 15 or 16 years old. I just don't like it. And it's really not appealing with the extra "jiggle" I have now. But, I guess the cold air temporarily shut down any logical thinking...I tried it. And I'm proud to admit that I made it without dying! I felt like Forrest Gump the whole time. While I highly doubt either of us will ever get to the point where we enjoy running, at least that's a step towards our goal of a healthier lifestyle. Yay me. Oh...and Chris, too. I'll include a few pics from our excursion to the park. No, it's not our fat butts running. I'll spare you that. Instead, please enjoy our adorable boys...




By the way, the Olive Garden trip last night went well. I had the Venetian Apricot Chicken. It was very yum...and low-fat!

2 comments:

Jan said...

I HATE to run too, but it seems like it is the only way to burn lots of calories...I'll be out there none to soon trying to burn off this baby weight...I've got 3 more weeks where I'm not "allowed" to work out...Thank you, Doctor!

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures! Good for you running. I haven't even walked since John went back to work. I was going to walk while he WAS at work. Margaret