Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Why didn't I take pictures???

So, Sunday evening we went to Jan and Jason's house for their Christmas Open House. It was so much fun to sit around and visit with adults! Caleb had a blast playing with JR and Cole flirted with everyone, I think. Even though Jan was in the hospital for days before the party and is currently on bedrest, she was the perfect hostess...perched up in her big chair so everyone could flock around her and chat. I know she must have felt miserable, but I'm sure she enjoyed the company. As expected, their decorations were GORGEOUS! My favorite tree was the "China tree" in their entryway - beautifully done in reds and golds. Let's see...they also had the "gold tree" in the living room, the "bird tree" in Jason's office/trophy room (I really liked this one, too - especially the peacock on top), the "Texas tree" in the dining room, the "toy tree" in the playroom and JR had TWO trees in his room. (Did I miss anything, Jan?) Seriously, it all looked stunning - I can tell that it took a lot of work.

Not to take away from the fabulosity of their party, but I have to mention the "field trip" we took next door to Jason's dad's house to see his "trophy rooms". My God...I've never seen so many different species of animals at once. I think he said there was something like 300 different varieties in the three rooms we toured. I actually got the heel of my shoe caught in the mouth of a polar bear. The most unusual animal (which I don't remember the name of) was some sort of creature that looked like it came straight out of Dr. Seuss book. Safari/Big Game hunting is such an unusual thing to me...I have so many questions! I seriously couldn't stop thinking about it that night! I mean, it's not really *my* cup of tea, but I don't have a problem with the way Gary described his way of hunting. I figure since Jan is on bedrest and bored out of her mind by now, I would just entertain her with some of my inquiries...so, here's what I'm wondering:

1. How do you ship those animal mounts back home? I'm just having visuals of a giraffe head tagged and spinning 'round and 'round on one of those luggage carousels at the airport. (okay, I'm not that dumb...I know it wouldn't be shipped like that)
2. How exactly do you get an elephant head in the door?
3. What are the walls made of so they don't crumble under the weight of all of those things?
4. Do "new" pets freak out when entering those rooms? How exactly do you acclimate a dog (or other pet) to the environment? Are they just terribly comfortable around all animals now? I mean, would they freak out if they saw a real live lion or would they just be like, "what's up?" to them?
5. Does Gary have his own personal taxidermist? How much does it really cost to get that sort of work done?
6. What really happens with the rest of the body after one of these exotic animals is taken down? Is there a demand for walrus meat?
7. For Jan personally - what was your REAL reaction the first time you went to Gary's house?
8. Does Gary have anything left on his hunting "checklist" or does he feel fulfilled with what he has?

I think that's all for now... But really, it was impressive. You just have to see it in person.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Thank you for all the compliments! I’m quite happy to have all the questions to answer because I am VERY bored! And don’t worry about tripping over the polar bear; I trip over all those rug heads all the time!
1. They skin the animals on site and then they ship the skins back (I think they put them in some sort of cooler) it takes a couple of months for the skins to get back here since they have to go through customs and such.
2. I believe that elephant came in 3 pieces and then they put it together when they got in the house
3. The walls are reinforced; even our walls in our study and game room upstairs are reinforced so animals won’t fall off.
4. Do "new" pets freak out when entering those rooms? How exactly do you acclimate a dog (or other pet) to the environment? Are they just terribly comfortable around all animals now? I mean, would they freak out if they saw a real live lion or would they just be like, "what's up?" to them? I think the pets think of them like they would furniture. Hunter pretty much ignores them, so I guess they don’t have any smell to them. Hunter barks at all the animals he sees on Animal Planet, but never at any of Gary’s animals.
5. Pretty much, he uses Conroe Taxidermy and always has. It’s VERY expensive to get the animals done, I don’t ask because I don’t want to know what Jason is spending on his!
6. Yes, there is actually a huge demand for walrus meat and the other meats as well (especially the African animals). As soon as they have measured and skinned the animals the locals come from miles around to collect the meat. They feed their families for weeks on the meat.
7. The first time I ever went to that house was on Christmas Day 1999. I pretty much just sat on the couch and just looked around trying to take it all in. I’m so used to it now that it just seems normal, but I was pretty much overwhelmed the first time I went there.
8. He says there are 1 or 2 sheep he has left to get, but I think he already has them, he just wants bigger ones. So, I would say “no”, he’s never going to be satisfied.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jan--I enjoyed the answers to Kristi's questions. The tour really does spark some questions and it is very interesting. So will JR have his trophies in the playroom?
Love ya..Lu

Jan said...

Yes, the plan is for JR's trophies to go in the playroom, but now I'm worried with 2 more boys on the way that trophies might somehow try and make it into the rest of the house...Agh the horror!!!