Saturday, November 8, 2008

Public Service Announcement and Thoughts on the Holidays

So, I'm at home alone with the boys today learning to walk again (yes, it's a slow healing process for my foot...sigh) and watching them play has reminded me. As the gift-giving season approaches, I feel the need to (once again) talk about how my children ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY DO NOT NEED ANY MORE TOYS. I know, I know. Cardboard boxes, paper towel tubes and other "unwanteds" do not seem like perfect gifts. BUT THEY ARE! My angels are currently repurposing our living room into their "office"...full with laundry basket desks with tupperware desk accessories. Guess I need to go fold the clothes that Caleb just dumped on my couch...

But, before I go...
Last Saturday, I mocked our friends down the street because they were pulling out Christmas decorations for their yard and their home. Yes. It was the day after Halloween. Okay, so I *do* have family members that have done this before, but I honestly don't think John and Mary Ann are pulling off the whole 12 different Christmas trees with coordinating full room decorations. Why, why, why were they doing this?

Anyway, why am I talking about this? Because every day since then, I have been OBSESSED with wanting to start my own Christmas decorating. I hobbled through Hobby Lobby AND Wal-Mart to hunt down a new Christmas tree. (Really, I NEEDED a third one because neither tree at home was pre-lit - GASP!) So now, I'm the proud owner of a 9-foot pre-lit tree. But I'm concerned that there still will not be enough lights on it. (I like my tree to SHINE y'all.) I also have the menu for our second annual Friend Christmas Party (I'm thinking I need a new name for this...leave your suggestions in the comment section) planned out. Not sure of the exact date yet, but at least the menu is planned. And I'm seriously thinking about breaking out the Paint Your Own Nativity set for the boys to decorate today. Chris (Mr.-hate-holidays-because-I-work-at-Wal-Mart) might strangle me when he gets home tonight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Halloween? Now that's a little late to get started for Christmas.The Queen of Christmas Decorating

Jan said...

I've been known to have ALL the trees finished BEFORE halloween! I only have 1 up right now, JR begged to get his up. Where can I get a paint your own nativity...JR would LOVE that?! And as for a party name, I think I'll toss that one to your mom, she can always come up with cute names for things!

Kristi said...

Jan - I found it at Hobby Lobby!

And thanks, family members, I knew y'all would make me feel better about my early Christmas decorating ideas. ;0)

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't have a name for the party at this time. But I have unloaded the Christmas decorations from the attic (with Ben's help--way to go Ben!) And I have my mantlescape and dining room tablescape completed. The trees will get decorated later this week.All of this thanks to our Queen of Christmas decorating--we have learned from the best!
Mom

Jan said...

I'll be going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow and I'll get one! Glad we can make you feel better about decorating...it's never too early!