Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Kristi, why are you blogging at 7:30 am?


So, I have a free-standing dry erase board like the one above in my classroom. Yesterday, in all of my teacher-coolness, I was walking around the classroom passing back some graded work. Mind you, this was my LARGEST class of 28 students - many of which are Freshman boys...you know how they are. Anyway, I'm in the general vicinity of said dry erase board and, all of a sudden, my right foot got caught on one of the bars at the bottom. Yep. I busted it. Fell straight forward and bent my foot backwards on the way down. Lost every one of those "cool points" I ever had. Thankfully, none of my 28 students laughed at me. One jumped up to make me a bag of ice and another took the pass to get a wheelchair from the nurse. A couple offered to help get my fat butt off the ground (well, they didn't really say that), but I decided that had "Fiasco #2" written all over it. Thank Jesus I was wearing pants.

Eventually, I made it down to the nurse's office and got all of the workman's comp. paperwork filled out. (Big props to Ethan for not rolling me down to the Aquatics gym and pushing me off into the pool.) Thankfully, Chris was home yesterday (with Caleb who was fighting off a cold). He picked me up and took me to the doctor (who, by the way, had very Brady-Bunch-inspired office decor). Three x-rays and several hours later, I have a very banged up foot but no major damage. Unfortunately, I can't put any weight on it until I go see Dr. 1972 again on Monday.

Oh, and apparently standard pharmacies can't fill a prescription for crutches, so I'm stuck either hopping or rolling around my house in a desk chair until Chris goes by the medical supply store on the way home from work today. Fun times.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

For crying out loud in church!

I was expecting to hear about the Asheville trip--not about a trip to the doctor's office. Take care of yourself. MR

Jan said...

I can just imagine how bad that hurt! OUCH!! For an embarrasement factor comparison: When I worked at Nalco I triped over my chunky flip-flops and fell in the floor in front of all the big-wigs that were having a meeting (they were in a glass office and ALL watched me hit the floor.) I jumped up and did an "Ashley Simpson lip synching on Saturday Night Live jig" and ran off. Later my boss came to me and asked if he needed to file an OSHA report...sigh. Keep off that foot and feel better!

Anonymous said...

Misery loves company--I'm glad Jan shared her story. My most embarassing moment--(Kristi will remember this)--about 18 years ago I was in the doctor's office with Sarah and I had a bad headache. Well the headache got much worse and I became the patient at the pediatrician's office! Long story short version--Dr. Rick Kelley ended up picking me up and carrying me to his van (he didn't have an adult wheelchair) and drove me across the street to the emergency room where Ben met me. I don't remember if Sarah got what she went to the doctor for!
Life throws us lemons--and me make lemonade.
Love ya...Mom

Misty said...

Sorry you hurt yourself.

Kelci said...

I don't know if you've noticed, but you've had a crappy few months:) Seriously, I don't think anything else can go wrong for you. Wish you lived closer so we could have a margarita and scrap booking night to help you de-stress.